Not a fan of bland, processed fish fingers? These fish bites are oven baked and full of smokey, lemon-ey goodness. I crisp up my breadcrumbs in a pan before hand and mix in some herbs, lemon zest and lovely smoked paprika to create an amazing crust, that crisps up beautifully in the oven. Finally you can oven bake crispy fish without needing a crematorium!
Tip: Save yourself from buying breadcrumbs, and blitz that slightly stale (but not blue) loaf of bread sitting on the counter in a food processor.
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 150g Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Thyme, finely chopped
- Zest of 1/2 a Lemon, cut the rest into wedges for later)
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 4 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 White fish fillets(such as cod)
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil on a medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and continue mixing until the crumbs begin to crisp up and turn golden. Tip the crumbs into a large bowl and add the parsley, thyme, lemon zest, paprika and season well with salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside to cool.
- Cut the fish into strips or chunks, I normally do it in chunky cubes of roughly 1 inch wide.
- Tip the flour into one shallow dish and the beaten egg into another. Taking one piece of fish at a time, coat it first in flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Arrange the fish on a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until nice and crispy.
- Serve immediately, and don’t forget the lemon wedges!